Peru Travel Guide
Resources, Articles & Tips
- Weather Guide - Offers daily high and lows for popular destinations in Peru.
- Passport Info - A helpful "how to" site for American citizens interested in applying for a passport.
- Oanda - Currency Converter - Amazing site...has wallet size conversion chart that can be printed out so you don't have to bumble about with a calculator during your trip.
- CIA Fact Book - The U.S. Central Intelligence Agency's Fact Book on Peru.
- PERU Traveller Guide - The online guide for the independent travellers to Peru. All the travel resources for planning your trip to Peru: accomodation, destinations, maps, weather, travel companions, bulletin board and more useful information.
Hotels & Restaurants
- Peru Hotels - This is great a listing of available hotels in Peru. General information is also available on this site.
- Ahora Hablo! Medical Edition - This medical Spanish book is pocket-sized and includes vocabulary for dental and vision care as well as many specialized areas such as obstetrics and cardiology.
- AmeriSpan Unlimited - AmeriSpan specializes in Spanish Immersion, Volunteer & Internship programs in Latin America and Spain for travelers and businesspeople. Currently, there are 40 programs available in 15 different countries.
- Languages of Peru - The Ethnologue Database. Includes entries on Peru's indigenous languages, plus Spanish.
News & Culture
- Quechua Jokes - English translations of jokes originally in Quechua the native language of the Incans.
Travel & Tourism
- Geographia - Peru - A super profile on the geographic and cultural diversity of the country.
- South America on the Matrix - An informative site detailing the "good, bad and the ugly" of different travelers tales and photos of their journies through South America, specifically covering Peru and Ecuador.
- South American Explorers Club - An excellent source of travel information for South and Central America. With clubhouses in Lima, Peru; Quito, Ecuador; and Ithaca, New York, the Club provides members with reliable, up-to-date information on discount airfares, trip planning, travel conditions, and everything else you need to know for your trip or expedition.
Peru Travel Articles
Pain and Gain in Peru (Articles/Travelogues) - Marlo Goldstein, former Academics Program Director at AmeriSpan, reflects on a unique journey in Peru. The archeological site of Maucallacta…recently discovered and previously visited only by archeologists and locals.
Tres Leches (Recipes) - Tres Leches means 3 milks and gets its name from the 3 different kinds of milk added to make the cake. It is a popular dessert in many Latin American countries.
Cesaria Evora (Music Reviews) - AmeriSpan's Carol LaMastra reviews Cesaria Evora: Café Atlantico and lists a couple of runner-ups.
Tips for Traveling Inexpensively (AmeriSpan Staff Commentary) - These days, from the weak dollar to the outrageous airfares, traveling abroad may seem out of the question. We beg to differ! There are many ways you can travel that are budget-friendly. We’ve gathered together some of our favorite cheap travel tips to help you make your trip a reality!