Brazil Travel Guide
Resources, Articles & Tips
- Oanda - Currency Converter - Amazing site...has wallet size conversion chart that can be printed out so you don't have to bumble about with a calculator during your trip.
Hotels & Restaurants
- El Misti Botafogo Brazil Hostel & Pousada - Discover Rio de Janeiro! Free breakfast and pick-up from the Airport near Sugar Loaf Mountain! Private rooms, mixed and female dorms with bath, A/C, Fun, TV. Groups & 7 days stay Discounts, New Year & Carnival Packages.
- Hotels and Travel in Brazil - Listing of Hotel chains, bed & breakfasts, hostels, business travel hotels and tourism information for over 25 areas of Brazil.
- Languages of Brazil - The Ethnologue Database. Includes entries on Brazil's 195 living languages, including Portuguese.
- The Human Languages Page - Contains over 1800 links to different language resources on the net. In English, French, German, Italian, Spanish and Portuguese.
News & Culture
- Brazil Online - International Monthly Magazine, in English and Portuguese.
- South American Newspapers - An American Journalism Review website of daily newspapers all over South America. Includes newspapers in English, Spanish and Portuguese.
- My Brilliant Trip to Rio - A former AmeriSpan participant in Cordoba, Argentina shares his travel experiences to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
Travel & Tourism
- World Travel Guide for Brazil - In addition to all you ever wanted to know about food, culture, climate and tourist destinations in Brazil, this site has visa and passport specifics that will help you get ready for your trip.
- Destination Brazil - Lonely Planet - For hundreds of years, Brazil has symbolised the great escape into a primordial, tropical paradise, igniting the Western imagination like no other South American country. From the mad passion of Carnaval to the immensity of the dark Amazon, Brazil is a country of mythic proportions. Lonely Planet captures all of the charm and natural beauty of Brazil as it guides readers to a wonderful vacation.
- South American Explorers Club - An excellent source of travel information for South and Central America. Provides members with reliable, up-to-date information on discount airfares, trip planning, travel conditions, and everything else you need to know for your trip or expedition.
- Travel Advisory-Brazil - From the U.S. State Department. Brazil has a developing economy. Facilities for tourism are good in the major cities, but vary in quality in remote areas. This listing presents all requirements (visas, passports) for entry to Brazil, as well as potential travel risks.
- An Introduction to Brazil - Everything you need to know when planning a trip to Brazil. Includes sections on Geography, Climate, History and Culture.
Brazil Travel Articles
El Alquimista (Book Reviews) - AmeriSpan's Suzanne Keller gives us her two cents on Paulo Coelho's El Alquimista (The Alchemist).
Peep, peep, peep (Cultural) - Set within the fabric of a personal cultural experience, this article is a provocative and thoughtful reminder of the fragility of life; both in Latin America and in the United States. A must read for thoughtful people!
Tres Leches (Recipes) - Tres Leches means 3 milks and gets its name from the 3 different kinds of milk added to make the cake. It is a popular dessert in many Latin American countries.
Cesaria Evora (Music Reviews) - AmeriSpan's Carol LaMastra reviews Cesaria Evora: Café Atlantico and lists a couple of runner-ups.
The Four Secrets to Long Term Retention... (Learning A language) - What you learn here has the potential to completely change your life! I have specifically applied these four secrets to the development of all Bilingual America Learning Courses. and have found over and over that students who follow these "Four Secrets To Long Term Retention" achieve outstanding results.
Tips for Traveling Inexpensively (AmeriSpan Staff Commentary) - These days, from the weak dollar to the outrageous airfares, traveling abroad may seem out of the question. We beg to differ! There are many ways you can travel that are budget-friendly. We’ve gathered together some of our favorite cheap travel tips to help you make your trip a reality!